Poland’s signature Garden Suburb, Podkowa Lesna (literally ‘Horseshoe Grove’) was built in the 1920s following the arrival of the electric commuter railway from the outskirts of Warsaw to the city centre.
Podkowa Leśna, Warsaw was designed in 1925 by Anthony Jawornicki.
The establishment of the Electric Commuter Rail in the 1920s opened up the outskirts of the city for residential development.
In a similar design to Letchworth Garden City, the housing was planned in concentric tree-lined streets, organised in a horseshoe shape, with the train station at its centre.
Whilst the urban layout has remained intact, some of the architecture has suffered from unsympathetic alterations.
1907- Land bought by Stanislaw Lilpop
1925- Podkowa Lesna founded
1981- Deisgnated area of national importnace
Original master planner and any other critical master planning, design and architects
Founder: Stanislaw Wilhelm Lilpop
Architect: Anthony Jawornicki
Low-density, detached houses on large plots.
39 square miles (10,101 hectares)
Housing/other built form densities
1400 dwellings 10,101 hectares
approx. 7 dwellings per hectare
Other notable features that reflect Garden City Principles
Find out more:
Urząd Miasta Podkowa Leśna
ul. Akacjowa 39/41
05-807 Podkowa Leśna
tel. 22 759 21 00 fax: 22 758 90 03